Click here to edNo this topic is not a month early. This coming Sunday marks the 1st Sunday in Advent which is the beginning of a new church year. So, Happy New Year!
Many people make New Year resolutions on January 1st, things like eating better, getting in shape, building something, trying to earn a promotion, etc. Such a practice can be good and beneficial. But what about New Church Year resolutions? What sorts of spiritual resolutions can you make? Here's a few ideas (in order of importance).
1. Prioritize regular church attendance. What is "regular" church attendance? Every week is ideal. If you're not there yet maybe try doubling your attendance, or shoot for twice a month. In the Divine Service we receive God's incredible gifts of His Word sung, proclaimed, and preached, and the Lord's Supper.
2. For parents of young children, get your children to church and Sunday School.
3. Commit to reading your Bible every day. There is a reading schedule in the newsletter and weekly word, as well as others online. Or just pick a book of the Bible and read through it at your own pace. Even 10 minutes a day is very beneficial!
4. Have daily devotions. Portals of Prayer are available at church, as well as Advent and Lenten devotions during those seasons. There are video and audio devotions available online as well.
5. Start attending Bible Study. We have Bible Study every Sunday morning at 11, women's Bible study on Tuesday's at 1:30, and men's Bible Study twice a month on Saturday mornings. If you have an idea for another midweek Bible study time/topic, please pass the idea along!
6. Listen to a Lutheran podcast. There's Issues Etc., The Word of the Lord Endures Forever, Sharper Iron, A Brief History of Power, and others.
7. Listen to Lutheran Public Radio.it.